Are you in a healthy relationship?
February 14th, 2011
Happy Valentine's Day! Even though they call it the day of love, it never hurts to take a look at your relationship to be sure that it is healthy and you are in it for the right reasons.
Being in a HEALTHY RELATIONSHIP means...
- Loving and taking care of yourself, before and while in a relationship
- Respecting individuality, embracing differences and allowing each person to be themselves
- Doing things with friends and family, and having activities independent of each other
- Discussing things, allowing for differences of opinion, and compromising equally
- Expressing and listening to each other's feelings, needs, and desires
-Trusting and being honest with yourself and each other
- Respecting each other's need for privacy
- Sharing sexual histories and sexual health status with your partner
- Practicing safer sex methods and respecting sexual boundaries
- Resolving conflicts in a rational, peaceful and mutually agreed upon way
- Allowing room for positive growth and you learning more about each other as you develop and mature
Having these characteristics in your relationship, can help to insure that you and your partner are in it for the right reasons and it is healthy. If this does not sound like your relationship, it might be time to have a conversation with your partner, and re-evaluate.